116. Bad Island by Doug TenNapel


Bad Island by Doug TenNapel

Rating: (4/5)

(US) - (Canada)

2011, Scholastic/Graphix,  219 pgs
Age: 10+

"When a family takes a boating trip, the last thing they expect is to be shipwrecked on an island—especially an island with weird, otherworldly plants and animals. Now, what started out as a bad vacation turns into a terrible one as Lyle, Karen, and their two kids, Janie and Reese, must find a way off the island while they dodge its strange and dangerous inhabitants. Is the island alive? Is it from another world? In this rousing, Swiss-Family-Robinson tale with a twist, the answers to these questions could save them... or spell their doom."

Borrowed a copy through Inter-Library Loan.

This is my 3rd book by this author and the deciding book for me on whether I'd continue to read him.  I loved Ghostopolis and found Cardboard didn't live up to its expectations, so wondered which way this one would go.  I'm pleased to say I loved it.  I'm not sure I *quite* got the relationship between the giant rock people and the humans, but I *think* I did.  Otherwise, it was great.  I loved the whole bad island concept, kind of a twist on the Dr. Moreau theme but with aliens.  As with "Cardboard" this explores the father/son relationship and I found the story much more realistic and poignant as the two came to understand and appreciate each other.  Absolutely loved Pickles, the dead snake which reminds me, though this came first, of the dead squirrel from the Bone: Quest for the Spark series.  This book has it all: a shipwreck, monsters, aliens, adventure and a family coming together.  This was a lot of fun; I like TenNapel's artwork and will try some of his backlist.

Comments