90. Criminal Macabre: No Peace for Dead Men by Steve Niles & Eric Powell


Criminal Macabre: No Peace for Dead Men by Steve Niles & Eric Powell. Art by Christopher Mitten.
Cal MacDonald (Graphic Novel, #8)

Rating: (5/5)

(US) - (Canada) - (Kindle)

May 21, 2013, Dark Horse, 144 pgs
Age: 16+

Received an egalley from the publisher through Net Galley.

"An ex-girlfriend-turned-vampire has been plotting Cal’s demise since she was first bitten. But Cal’s not done yet, and rises from the grave! Collects Die, Die, My Darling!, No Peace for Dead Men, They Fight by Night, Criminal Macabre/The Goon: When Freaks Collide, and “Call me Monster”.
* Featuring the crossover with Eric Powell’s The Goon!"


I love Cal MacDonald and was so excited to read this new collection!  And, wow! the plot sure goes to some new and unexpected places!  First up was a really fun one-shot featuring the real Frankenstein monster as a client who is being hounded by the current "Frank" family descendants.  Then comes a crossover with The Goon, whom I'd never heard of before, nevermind haven't read, but again I truly enjoyed it and thought The Goon was amazing.  It made me look the comic up and it looks like something I'd like so I've added it to my tbr list.  Funniest thing is the story ends with the appearance of another very familiar Dark Horse character, which was a hoot to see in this volume!  At this point is where the title story "No Peace for Dead Men" starts and the next three issues follow this continuous plotline which is quite remarkable with an amazing plot turn in the middle which completely changes everything as Cal has known it.  Riveting.  Just loved the entire volume.  These are great noir private eye detective stories that run along the Angel monster hunter/paranormal variety of cases.  While the characters are dark, weird and foul-mouthed, Cal and Mo'Lock are one of my favourite teams, and the secondary characters can easily have the reader feeling empathy for them while the villains are deliciously wicked.  The book ends with an OMG moment making me anxious for the next volume in this series.  Great read!

Comments