161. Graphic Classics: Horror Classics edited by Tom Pomplun

Horror Classics edited by Tom Pomplun.
Graphic Classics (Vol. 10)

Rating: (5/5)

(US) - (Canada)

2004, Eureka Productions, 144 pgs

Age: 12+
"Stories from the original masters of horror in comics.
EDGAR ALLAN POESome Words with a MummyPoe's satiric tale adapted by Rod Lott and illustratedby Kevin Atkinson
H.P. LOVECRAFTThe Thing on the DoorstepObsession, possession and terror by Michael Manning
SAKIThe Open WindowAn impressionable man meets The Bad Seed, illustratedby Gabrielle Bell
W.W. JACOBSThe Monkey's PawNothing comes for free, as illustrated by John Pierard
BRET HARTESelina SediliaA gothic farce from the great Western author,adapted by Antonella Caputo and illustrated by Nick Miller
JACK LONDONKeesh, Son of KeeshTerror on the tundra, illustrated by "Johnny Jihad"creator Ryan Inzana
OLIVE SCHREINERIn a Far-Off WorldA nightmare fantasy by the South African author, illustratedby Jackie Smith
HOWARD GARISProfessor Jonkin's Cannibal PlantThe precursor to "Little Shop of Horrors" from the creator of"Uncle Wiggly", rendered in comics by Onsmith Jeremi
HONORE DE BALZACThe Thing at GhentA horrific tale retold in one page by Mark Dancey
FITZ-JAMES O'BRIENA Day DreamA simple "what-if" goes to extremes, as pictured by Milton Knight
AMBROSE BIERCEThe MummyA tribute in verse, illustrated by Brandon Ragnar Johnson
CLARK ASHTON SMITHThe Beast of AveroigneMedieval terror adapted by Rod Lott and illustratedby Richard Jenkins"

Borrowed a copy from my local library.

Fantastic collection of popular and not so well-known horror tales from the 1800s.  Starting with a wonderful tale from Lovecraft "The Thing on the Doorstep", my favourite in the entire collection. Michael Manning's art was superb and for some reason his portrayal of the main character really captured me.  I have to say I've only read Lovecraft in anthologies and so far to date have not had any luck with him but this tale has made me see why he is so beloved by many.  A brilliant story wonderfully adapted in graphic form here. I enjoyed every tale in this collection and there was just the right combination of scary vs ironic.  The art was all perfect for the stories they portrayed and I even got along well with Milton Knight's offering, who I am beginning to appreciate more than I have in the past :-) Familiar to me were Poe's "Some Word's With a Mummy", Jacob's "The Monkey's Paw, Saki's satirical "The Open Window" and London's haunting "Keesh, son of Keesh".  Of the others I was unfamiliar with I was delighted with Antonella Caputo & Nick Miller's rendition of Bret Harte's Selina Sedilia.  Altogether 11 stories and 1 poem make one of my favourite themed collections in this series.

Comments