Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Trouble in Mind by Duane Swierczynski

Birds of Prey, Vol. 1: Trouble in Mind by Duane Swierczynski
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I've run across the Birds of Prey briefly in my reading of the New 52 so far and they have intrigued me so when I received a gift-card I bought the first two trades. The members here make for an awesome team! I am already familiar with (and love!) two of the members (Poison Ivy & Batgirl), Starling is a new character, and I wasn't familiar with Black Canary or Katana. The only one I'm not sure I like is Black Canary. Katana is an awesome female warrior. A Japanese ninja-type who believes her sword is possessed by her dead husband. Fighting to her means killing, she stabs, slays, decapitates her way though any battle and the others have to rein her in when they need baddies alive to question. So i love the characters and the dynamics between them. The plot on the otherhand was only so-so. It was intense enough but didn't feel appropriate for a superhero comic. Choke and his team of mind-controlled assassins could be the bad guy from any thriller/crime novel; he was a far cry from a comic supervillain though and that left me rather unimpressed with the Birds whole caper in this volume. Love the girls though and want to see if they get a better plot in the next volume.

View all my reviews

Comments