I, Vampire (New 52), Vol. 1: Tainted Love by Joshua Hale Fialkov

I, Vampire (New 52), Vol. 1: Tainted Love by Joshua Hale Fialkov
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The New 52

When everything is said and done, this is simply a good vampire story, nevermind that Batman shows up near the end. This is my first introduction to the Andrew Bennett story arc, though I've come across him in JLD. Mary is gathering together all the vampires to take over the world, and plans mass human turnings to add to her ranks. Andrew is out to put a stop to her and gets some help from John Constantine and Batman, though The Bat has to be convinced not to kill the vampire Bennett himself, first. A very dark story with vampires the way they should be: evil, ugly killers. Even Andrew turns into an ugly beast when he gets his full-on fury going. The backstory between Mary and Andrew is weaved throughout in either flashbacks or just dialogue between characters. A satisfying read which presents a fine vampire story while also fleshing out the characters with their back stories. The artwork matches the mood of the story and is very dark using black, browns, army green and artistic touches of red. There are only two more volumes in this series and I plan on reading them as they do involve a few characters from Justice League Dark of which I'm a huge fan.

View all my reviews

Comments