Seraph of the End, Vol. 1: Vampire Reign by Takaya Kagami

Seraph of the End, Vol. 1: Vampire Reign by Takaya Kagami
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Well, I just totally loved this! This is the first time I've read a shounen vampire manga. So far, I've only come across shoujo manga with vampire themes and so far they've proven too romantic for me. This has a very promising start and wow! was it a quick read. I was hooked from the opening pages. The orphans home setting pulled me in, then the virus apocalypse, and what a great set-up for a first volume. Not many characters are introduced, just the main ones (2 males and a female plus a male superior) and we get the whole backstory of this world, at least as far as the main characters know it. Due to the few characters to start with we get to know them quite well for a first volume and see some good action which promises good things to come; we've got demons, cursed power weapons and an awesome vampire battle scene. Since the people who survived the original virus were children under 13 we are dealing with some young people in these violent scenes, both as villains and victims,which makes them pretty creepy. The art is pretty, backgrounds quite detailed, some frames are a bit heavy on black ink, but not overdone. This could prove to be something quite special. Let's see where volume 2 takes us!

View all my reviews

Comments