The Stand Volume 2: American Nightmares by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

The Stand Volume 2: American Nightmares by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I first started this series back when only a few volumes were out and decided to stop and wait until it had been completed. So here I am back with Vol. 2. This volume jumps around the country showing us who the survivors (major players) are, where they are, their current circumstances and how they get on their journey heading towards where they are being pulled. Randall appears more frequently this volume and the characters experience the bad dreams from him, this time there is only one dream of the old woman and corn field and that is by Nick. Main storylines are Nick still coping with being Sheriff and his last prisoner in the jail. He finally leaves and begins his journey after getting directions from his dream of the cornfield. Larry Underwood meets Rita they travel off together and the famous scene in the tunnel occurs. Frannie meets Harold and their whole set-up story takes place as they decide to head out on the road together at which point they meet up with Stu. Stu starts starts off at the CDC and the plot covers his break-out and journey till he meets up with Fran and Harold. Randall Flagg saves Lloyd from prison and recruits his first henchman. Oh we also meet Trashcan Man in this volume. Everybody is portrayed faithfully to the novel and I feel like I know everybody already. I'm enjoying seeing the story played out in this format. The only thing I don't like is the portrayal of Harold; he's not how I imagine him at all. First he looks like Hank from "King of the Hill" which totally kills the creeps that character gives me in the book. Otherwise I love everybody. The art in this novel is absolutely gorgeous! Not that there are any pretty scenes but just outstanding art and I'm really looking forward to the next volume as things start to get darker and Tom Cullen should be introduced, I think, with Vol. 3.

View all my reviews

Comments