The Scarlet Letter: Graphic Novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne by P. Craig Russell & illustrated by Jill Thompson

The Scarlet Letter: Graphic Novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne  by  & illustrated by 
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Classics Illustrated (#6)

I've read a lot of graphic adaptations of classic literature but this is the first time I've read one that I haven't read the original novel. I'm working my way through this entire series and there are going to be quite a few where I'll be in this situation. Usually I compare the adaptation to the original. Now I'll be giving my impressions of the story as a first time reader. First of all this is a beautiful book; the illustrations are gorgeous. Thompson has painted each page with luscious watercolours. I've read "The House of Seven Gables" by Hawthorne and absolutely abhorred it so I had no intentions of ever reading this novel or anything others by Hawthorne (though I think "A Wonder-Book for Boys and Girls" is one o the best books of Greek mythology ever written). It was good that I got to experience "The Scarlet Letter" through this format as I immensely enjoyed the story! Of course, I knew the basic adultery, letter "A", plot and guessed right away who she was protecting but I had no idea how much the story focused on what a strong, faithful person Hester was. My previous experience with this series lets me know how true to the originals Papercutz stays and they use a lot of the original text also. However, I'm not sure if I'd be compelled to read the original even at this point as the writing is full of thous, dosts and whences, which I don't need in my life. I'm thoroughly thrilled though to have become acquainted with this classic through such a quality graphic adaptation.

View all my reviews

Comments