El Deafo by Cece Bell




El Deafo by Cece Bell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Entertaining memoir of the author's early life. Of how she became deaf at the age of four and her coping with school, finding friends and different types of hearing aids. I found the story particularly of interest as my niece is completely deaf in one ear and has experienced the use of hearing devices in school also. The story goes up to about Cece's year in 5th grade, the year she finally has a small group of friends and feels comfortable in herself. An entertaining story but not exactly exciting nor did I find it humorous. The art reminded me much of Marc Brown and I particularly thought Cece looked like Arthur's sister, D.J. Most suited to elementary aged children and yet somewhat long for that age group.

View all my reviews

Comments