The Dumbest Idea Ever! by Jimmy Gownley



The Dumbest Idea Ever! by Jimmy Gownley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the first time I've actually heard of this author but I'm going to be looking for his other work right away. This is an outstanding and inspiring memoir of the author in Gr. 8 & 9 Catholic school. Two pivotal years in his life when he learned who and what he was going to be. A fascinating and inspirational story of a teenager who becomes a cartoonist at the age of 15, yet it deals with all the normal highschool/teen realities: first date, starting high school, making new friends, losing old ones, teenage angst and getting a swelled head. Anyone who likes to draw or even doodle around will fall into this story and feel exhilarated. It made me feel excited for my children, that they can do anything if they are passionate about it. Jimmy is such a lovable character and his wit and humour is deadpan, I really didn't want the book to end. He's a kind, good-natured guy but just like anyone he can have a nasty side and at a certain point gets an ego that goes out of control making him a real person. There are a few author graphic memoirs out there now for teens but this is one of the most genuine I've come across. My 14yob enjoyed it very much as well.

View all my reviews

Comments