Teen Titans: Earth One Vol. 1 by Jeff Lemire

Teen Titans: Earth One Vol. 1 by Jeff Lemire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Teen Titans
Earth One

These Earth One books on the one hand confuse me with why DC presumes we need completely new off-canon origin stories but on the otherhand, they can prove entertaining, this one particularly so. I'm relatively new to the Teen Titans having read them in the New 52 and Young Justice and watched one of the cartoons, so I only know a bit about some of the characters true origins. Raven has always been one of my favourite TTs so I was a bit dismayed to have her portrayed as Native-American here but Lemire pulls it off very well and her introduction to the team is titillating. Jericho and Terra I've not met before and found their characters interesting even if Terra was a bit too much the whiny, angry teen for my tastes. Cyborg's origin story came completely out of left-field for me but it was so different from how he's always been portrayed (though his change still comes about through a parent) that I found it played out well. Also introduced in this volume are Starfire, Beastboy and Tempest. The book leaves us with having met these teens but by no means are they anywhere close to being a team yet.

View all my reviews

Comments