A Game for Swallows: To Die, to Leave, to Return by Zeina Abirached

A Game for Swallows: To Die, to Leave, to Return by Zeina Abirached
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 188 pages
Published September 1st 2012 by Graphic Universe

I read the follow-up to this, "I Remember Beirut", first and enjoyed that much better. This is a single episode of a family and group of friends experiencing a bombing during the Lebanese Civil War. The story isn't political or religious. We just sit in a room with the people as they wait out the bombing and fear for two children's parents who were visiting down the street before the bombs started. An autobiographical story but I didn't find any connection with anyone and mostly found the tale uninteresting and lacklustre. The art, on the other hand, is wonderful. I love the artist's doodling style with spirals and curlicues while the black and white sets the atmosphere.

Comments