Constantine: The Hellblazer Vol. 1: Going Down by Ming Doyle & James Tynion IV

Constantine: The Hellblazer Vol. 1: Going Down by Ming Doyle & James Tynion IV
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Paperback, 144 pages
Published February 16th 2016 by DC Comics
Source: egalley via edelweiss

John Constantine/Hellblazer


I've not ever read a Constantine or Hellblazer comic before. While reading the "New 52" I did follow the "Dark League" and wanted to get into one of John's independent titles but here I am meeting him for the first time alone, in a completely new origin story. There are no old returning characters in this first story which is populated with fresh faces to tell the story of how John got into the Dark Arts in the first place. The book starts with a couple of cool paranormal events that Constantine works to solve. Then the main story arc starts and takes up the middle portion of the book with scenes flipping from his current case of trying to figure out who is killing his personal posse of ghosts and flashbacks to his origin story in the UK, the two eventually meet up, with the past being the cause of his current troubles. Then John goes on a bender of solving freaky but simple paranormal cases and ends up meeting a possible new boyfriend at the end of the book. From the book's story, we've gathered that John swings just as rampantly both ways. And... the emphasis on his sexuality was the only thing that really bothered me. When I'm reading DC/Marvel, sex is really the last thing I'm looking for. I didn't need to see him humping a female demon.

Comments