I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 1: Madly Ever After by Skottie Young

I Hate Fairyland, Vol. 1: Madly Ever After by Skottie Young
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 128 pages
Published April 20th 2016 by Image Comics
Source: egalley via netgalley

I Hate Fairyland (1)


And now for something rather different. With a blend of cutsie artwork in a Wonderland fairytale world, and bloody gory violence Skottie Young brings a humorous farce to fairytale comics. Best suited for teens and up; there is no nudity, the swearing is made up words and while very, very bloody the violence is cartoonish. I got a good laugh out of this and enjoyed the parodies of specific fairy tales and fairy tale devices. Gertrude is one nasty 40yo trapped in her 8yo body but you've got to like her. I think I'd go crazy being stuck in a brightly coloured candyland for 20 years too! One of my favourite parts is each issue starts off with a different narrator from the narrator's guild because Gertrude kills them for talking about her. This book certainly won't be for everyone, but if you've got a sense for dark humour this should grab your funny bone.

Comments