Alice in Wonderland: Special Collector's Manga by Jun Abe

Alice in Wonderland: Special Collector's Manga by Jun Abe
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 352 pages
Published May 25th 2016 by TokyoPop
Source: egalley via netgalley

I have not seen the Tim Burton movie because I do not fancy Johnny Depp, but I thought reading a manga interpretation of it would be entertaining. There was good and bad. The good: the art. It is much more traditionally Japanese manga than the Finding Nemo book. Characters have been styled after the movie ones with a definite manga touch while Alice is any typical young girl found in a manga. The bad: the story. I had no idea what this was going to be about but was thinking it would be a retelling of the classic Alice. I was wrong. This takes place after the original and now as a teenage Alice who only remembers her adventures as a dream, but of course she ends up there again. Except its real name in Underland. If you loved the movie then this will probably be for you. If, like me, you haven't seen it, find a manga/graphic novel of the proper Alice in Wonderland.

Comments