Demon Knights (New 52), Vol. 1: Seven Against the Dark by Paul Cornell

Demon Knights (New 52), Vol. 1: Seven Against the Dark by Paul Cornell
Illus by Diogenes Neves et al.
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 160 pages
Published July 17th 2012 by DC Comics
Source: Inter-Library Loan

New 52

I wasn't sure I'd like this since it takes place in the Dark Ages but I ended up really liking it. The story is pretty basic fantasy. The Questing Queen's Horde is on its way to ravage a city but in its path is a small village within a narrow passage. Conveniently seven immortal (or virtually) warriors have gathered here unknownst to each other. The book is very battle oriented full of violence, action-packed. Because the story is simplistic much time is spent on character. This is a team, come to be called the "Demon Knights" by the end. I always like superhero teams and here we meet a lot of paranormal, dark, magic using DC characters. I really liked them considering they were all new to me except Madame Xanadu who I've met a few times now, outside the Justice League Dark titles. I had also heard of the demon Etrigan and Vandal Savage and was pleased to find a pre-cursor to Wonder Woman: an exiled Amazonian warrior from Paradise Island. A lot of fun and I'll definitely be reading the following volumes.

Comments