Hans Christian Andersen's The Red Shoes and Other Tales by Metaphrog

Hans Christian Andersen's The Red Shoes and Other Tales by Metaphrog
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Hardcover, First edition, 64 pages
Published October 13th 2015 by Papercutz
Source: received review copy from publisher

I had forgotten how deliciously morbid Hans Christian Andersen was! I love this gorgeous graphic novel. The "other tales" mentioned in the title are "The Glass Case" and "The Little Match Girl". These are the original stories with their macabre endings, though the matchstick girl is more bittersweet. Watch out for sensitive children as one ends with a girl getting her feet chopped off, the other with a real life boy turning into a wooden doll and finally, one where a poor little girl dies on the streets in the middle of winter. Gorgeous, gorgeous book I will be keeping for my fairy tale collection.

Comments