Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol. 1 by Osamu Takahashi

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project Vol. 1 by Osamu Takahashi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 192 pages
Published July 21st 2009 by Dark Horse Manga
Source: Comixology Unlimited

Neon Genesis Evangelion Universe

Dark Horse is coming out with omnibus editions of this series this summer and I wanted to try it before I pre-ordered. I was aware this was going to be shojo but I am a lot more pleased with it than I thought I would be. Of course, the story is set before the original series and takes many liberties with continuity to present itself as a possible alternate reality to the one that happened. I'm not sure I'd call it shojo at this point as it is a strange mix of shojo and shonen slice of life school stories. Lots of romantic comedy as expected, but lots of teen boy sex talk and hi-jinx too. What really surprised me and won me over was that the science fiction theme is very much there. All the kids' parents work for Eva, Rei is working for them and by the end of this volume everyone has visited the lab. I really enjoyed the characters as I already knew them quite well and even though their history has been changed their personalities are true to form. I must say I look forward to continuing on with this series through the upcoming omnibus editions.

Comments