Pele: The King of Soccer by Eddy Simon

Pele: The King of Soccer by Eddy Simon
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I have no interest in soccer whatsoever but I do know who Pele is. I usually enjoy biographies about a wide assortment of people no matter their claim to fame as long as the book is about the person, his life, personality, etc. This book didn't succeed in capturing my attention. It started off well enough with young Pele growing up in poverty and showing himself to be an exceptional soccer player. However, once he joined the sport even semi-professionally the book simply became a game by game replay of his life according to soccer. There were sentences and footnotes: oh he got married, oh he cheated on his wife, oh he had a kidney removed. I was totally bored with all the soccer parts which make up 90% of the story. Most recommended for soccer or Pele fans rather than the general biography reader.

Comments